Sunday, October 5, 2014

Kerrville Plein Air Event!

        
I just returned from my first competitive plein air painting event in Kerrville, Texas.  It was intense to paint with artists who's work I've admired for years, and new artist friends from all over the state. I felt like a real Texan, driving down dirt roads, sometimes around cows, goats, deer and road runners, to get to ranches, where we painted junkyard trucks, barns, and beautiful countryside.



  
     Truckin', oil, 8x10

            
This is my painting of a couple of old trucks on the first morning. I've never painted trucks or cars, and it was a lot of fun! 

On the second day, we painted in a Quick-Draw competition. After selecting a spot and setting up our easels, we had 90 minutes to complete a painting, and then frame it and submit it to the judge within 15 minutes. While we painted in downtown Kerrville, there was a block party going on all around us! 

I painted this back door to a historical mansion and sold it on the spot! Even though I didn't win a prize, I felt like a winner.

           

On the last day of the event, I painted at Collins Ranch and submitted this painting of an old shed and entered it into the show that day. 

        

           Rustic Gem, oil, 8x10.                                          


  This was the scene to my left while I was painting...



       

The Kerr Arts & Cultural Center did a wonderful job running this  this event. And a special thanks to Debbie and her staff at Rivers Edge Gallery & Framing who helped many of us frame our paintings.

I'm looking forward to participating again next year!


            


No comments:

Post a Comment